Gardening is one of my favorite activities. The process of gardening just feeds the soul as you plant a seed, nurture it, watch it grow, plant it outside, and then watch the sunshine and rainy days take care of your green babies while your heart fills with joy. God does the work so that you can enjoy the process and although He keeps the garden green, you can always add your own personal style to the garden with handmade plant markers.
What is a Plant Marker?
A plant marker is a label (usually outdoor/ weather proof) that is placed near a plant bearing that plant’s name.
Why Would Someone Use a Plant Marker?
- To add color to an otherwise green garden
- They’re just fun to have
- They’re fun to make
- To keep track of the type of plant you are labeling
- The plant will change in its appearance as the plant moves through the growing process; from seedling, greenery, and eventually becoming fully grown.
- In the fall, when plants become dormant, it is easy to go through the garden to create a list of which plants you want to have next year.
- Example: Maybe this year was the first time you grew beef tomatoes. Next spring you may not remember the name of the tomato, but you can go back to your plant markers and find the exact variety.
Why Should I Make Plant Markers?
- They make beautiful personalized gifts
- So they can be personalized to your garden/ number of plants needed
- Aren’t you bored? Let’s do something creative! No technology, just quite crafting
- Everyone needs a creative outlet
DIY Plant Markers to Add Whimsy to Your Garden
These are DIY ideas meant to inspire; however, some of the pictures shown came from online small businesses (Etsy Shops) who are currently selling them. All photos have a link to their original source, including these shops.
So, here is a collection of plant markers made of different materials with their own style to inspire you to try making your own plant markers and add some whimsy to your garden this season. Let’s take a look at what materials can be used.
Wooden Spoon Plant Markers
Mini Wood Sign Plant Markers
Clay Plant Markers
Out of the Box Plant Marker Ideas Made From…
Clothespins and Wine Corks
Bricks and Beads
Painted Rock Plant Markers
(My) Craft Stick Plant Markers
I like to paint and made a few of these two years ago when I tried my hand at growing lettuce and cabbage. Simple craft sticks, with acrylic painted veggies, and a paint marker to write my label. They were so simple yet, fun to make.
Anything that is made from the heart has its own special beauty.
Plant markers don’t have to be fancy. You can make them from just about anything. This project would make a great quarantine project for the whole family as a boredom buster. You can even tie this DIY to a lesson on gardening.
Either way, you can’t go wrong.
Thank you for reading and have a beautiful day in the garden!